Wednesday 5 August 2009

Isn't it Ironic?

Saw Field Of Dreams on ITV1 last week, it was a Saturday afternoon, and right in the middle of SPOILER ALERT!!! the row on book burning at the gym featuring Amy Madigans character her line:"At least he is not a book burner, you Nazi cow!" was cut.
This I could understand if someone thought the phrase "Nazi cow" might offend, well, Nazis or cows, but 2 minutes later her character says to Kevin Costner "Did you see me call her a 'Nazi cow'?"

So a double irony there. Not only did ITV censor a remark made in a debate about censorship, they left it in later.

On another point, I'd forgotten just how damn good a film it was. Burt Lancaster made one of the best cameos I've ever seen, and in his last film! James Earl Jones, Ray Liotta, Frank Whalley & our Kev. Marvellous. If I had one criticism, it would be where was Jackie Robinson? Although it must be conceded, he was of a later era.

No comments: