Thursday 10 September 2009

Theatre Of Hate!

As some of you may know (those that have read my previous entry anyway) I am appalled at the fall in standards in theatre audiences. (I long ago gave up on cinema ones!)

Well, I experienced a new 'low' last week. I went to see a friend acting in a new play at the local theatre. I went with a friend and my mother, who though a pensioner, would kick Vin Diesel's ass. we were all snuggly, the lights had just gone down & a family of four turned up & couldn't find their seat.

The usher just shoved them into the row behind us, which was empty anyway. So far, so no problem.

Then the kids started opening their sweetie bags....

I never knew so much noise could be made. My mother made the remark "I hope they're not going to make that racket all the way through" but the parents behind failed to take the hint, so after 5 minutes of noise I shushed 'em!

The dad responded with a neighbourly "shut it!".
Demonstrating my superior wit, I snapped back: "You shut it!"
He parried with a snarling: "What'd you say?"
I riposted with: "We're in a theatre mate!"
He returned with: "Then ask politely!"
Leaving me to volley home the point: "I did!!!"

Game, set & match to me!

At the intermission, he did have the grace to apologise, or as my friend put it, "Saw you were bigger than him".

Poor shmuck didn't realise, if he'd started anything my Ma would'a kicked his ass but good. Word!

That aside, this was a married, middle-aged father of two. If that's what he's like in public, how can we expect better from so-called chavs?

No comments: